Friday, October 8, 2010

Lebh Shomea

The weekend approaches. I am sick, a cold that takes my nose from me, smelling is not available, and yet I am excited about spending my weekend "in the desert". My wife and I are going to Lebh Shomea and look forward to the experience. The retreat center has been utilized by people I admire a lot. Justin Horton, Dr. Jackson at South Texas School of Christian Studies where both my wife and i attend, as well as Pastor John Elford who still continues to aggravate my spirituality just by his wonderful presence!

Is this not the role of community? To aggravate holiness in us, to challenge our love, desire, distaste, fear, and attempts at holiness? I think its true, because that is what the Holy Spirit does in me most these days, she is a disruptive bitch at times. Taking me out of my comfortable church places, meeting people who love things that I hate and hate people that I love. But she knows what is best for me, she does.

That is how Amanda and I got to this trip. We didn't have the funds to go see David Bazan in San Antonio, which is still a goal of mine. I want to share a beer with a man of poetry like his. So, here comes a lady at church that is (like me) getting wrecked in holy ways by monastic teaching and prayers of long-since-dead saints and sinners. She wants to send my wife and I on a silent get-away surrounded by desert and monks and books and cactus and solitary silence. Perfect.

I am listening to The Devil Wears Prada discography while I type this, and that is FAR from silence. But it is most violent before the quiet storm, I guess. Wish us luck friends. No phones, no blogs, no computers, just my wife and I, some hermits, monks, sisters, and old pages that will surely inspire.

See you all soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment