Saturday, October 16, 2010

The Gospel of Graffiti...


I call to you, God, because I'm sure of an answer. So—answer! bend your ear! listen sharp! Paint grace-graffiti on the fences; take in your frightened children who Are running from the neighborhood bullies straight to you. (The Message, Ps. 17:6)
I have titled my blog Grace Graffiti for many reasons. What would it mean to have art back into the christian community, real art, the art that sparks thought and spirit and revolution? My wife made a wonderful announcement when we were doing some 'artsy' ministry stuff, “every culture has been known by what lasted, and that is almost always art”. This has landed her in a ceramics 101 class, which she is kicking ass in (love you!) and has sort of molded a fresh perspective in both of us to engage the arts and spirituality. Our apartment is full of Buddha, Icons, and personal art from friends and our own pieces occasionally.
But really, what has art done? and What can it do?

I see people/artists like Obey Giant, Chaz Bojorquez (pictured above), and some of my favorite homeboys who love art in photograph or spray cans that speak more volumes than words from their lips. There is a peace that comes for us in many different ways, and those ways must be utilized! What is being said when I am able to write a message on a wall so that the world can see. What does it do for history, for personality, for confidence, for the integrity of the message that it is laid out to see? Isn't this the story of much Jewish teaching in the Old Testament?
That we would 'write justice on our hearts' (like a tattoo) and 'declare the year of the Lord's grace in the city'...I cannot believe that books are enough, or sermons, or even blogs, but that there is a prophetic generation of artists that will 'show' beauty through resistance to the modern norms of expression.

Are you one of them?

Grace Graffiti is one of my elements, I believe that if God were to put a mark on all people it would be Grace that would show we are all accepted and loved and permanently changed by what Jesus has brought to us from the Father. Can we say every Sunday that God is creative and beautiful but we stick with just Thomas Kinkade art and post-cards? Is that being responsible with God's message? I don't think so...

GRAB THOSE CANS OF GRACE AND START SPRAYING!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment