Thursday, December 16, 2010

Thomas "Popo" Heitman, Remembering Part 1


At 12:01am, December 16, 2010, my grandfather, “Popo” died. He was Johnny Cash songs in human flesh, He was the man that all others looked up to because he never let down and showed compassion, commitment, and raw emotion in all that he did and said. I remember a strong man, with scarred hands from raw life, not sissy city life. He taught me a lot, and some things I haven't realized until now. Some are candid, and others are revolutionary. We love you, and will see you on the far side banks of Jordan!

THINGS I LEARNED FROM POPO:
  • Always chase the woman. (this is, of course, a reference to his wife)
  • Beat down the biggest guy around to that the others are scared of you.
  • Whiskey is volatile and dangerous, but damn tasty.
  • If you think you can't get the girl, beat up all the other options for her until she conceded (another reference, of course, to my grandma)
  • Country gospel beats anything by Chris Tomlin, hands down.
  • Do good with what you have, and people will do good when you are in need.
  • “Get a job, and keep it”. (which is ironic, because he had more trades than any other Renaissance man)
  • Goats are the best lawnmowers, because you can pet them and they don't cut off fingers.
  • Give your money to your wife, trust her, and you will always have enough in your pocket.
  • “That pew won't get me to Heaven, I know who God is”.
  • “Hey boy!” is a compliment and sign of affection.
  • Protect and fight for your family, no matter if it looks dangerous, its worth it!
  • CASH, WAYLON, WILLIE, HAGGARD (enough said)
  • My brass knuckles are just back up for my real ones.
  • A man can beat cancer, multiple heart attacks, Quadruple bi-pass surgergy, pace-makers, knee replacement, living years with no teeth, alcoholism, smoking habit, and severe depression, and that man chooses when he dies, taking his last breathe on his terms.
  • Death is a fucking son-of-a-bitch, and thank God that resurrection DOES EXIST and is the final goal for us all! (I Corinthians 15:55)
  • I can learn more from Johnny Cash and people stories than any set of “up to date” bible series', so screw you Tyndale!
More to come, I am sure...let me know what you think!

No comments:

Post a Comment