Monday, December 27, 2010

Good Mourning

My grandmother lost her son, my uncle Tommy, in 2007 and kept repeating a phrase that won't leave my mind. She kept saying “see you in the morning”, and I have had that racing in my heart, soul, and mind since then. It has manifest a peace when my Grandpa passed a week before Christmas eve this year. Pain is a bitch, no getting around it. I get frustrated with C.S. Lewis' “megaphone” theory a lot recently. But life and death and theology isn't about frustrations or good vs. bad, its mostly about human beings and minds/heart/souls that interact with God on many levels and with Jesus in the eyes of the poor and hungry. Its the effect of the Cross, and Resurrection of Jesus, and the peace of the Holy Spirit, on all of us under and not under the Christian banner.

I am mourning, for the first four days after my Popo died, I woke up crying. Nearly every day since then I have awoken to thoughts of him, memories, etc. He taught me so much. I have already posted some of this here. He was a fighter from birth, and defended those that were beaten up on, he loved his wife even when he wanted to scream (or did), and he appreciated the stories of the greatest names in Country music, which led to my great love for it as well. The stories of murder ballads, tears in beers, running around trying to find something, shooting back, etc will always remind me of my Popo. The ethics I have now are embedded with the memory of families not charged for air conditioning work because they didn't have it, of family members being ONLY welcomed at his table, and knowing that peace is important in a family and soul of all men and women.

Johnny Cash and June Carter would sing a song called “Kneeling Drunkards Plea” about the grace of God and man, regardless of moral labeling by society or family. I know, from personal experience, that when Church-folk leave you outside without invitation is when God can openly bring you in to grace and peace with Himself. Johnny Cash wrote “Ain't No Grave” after his wife passed and he thought of Resurrection, and fear was not there, but patient anticipation of what God was going to do in the future. That was the message at my Popo's eulogy service. This makes for Good Mournings.

Peace and Grace to all, friends.

No comments:

Post a Comment