Saturday, November 13, 2010

Blowing the Jesus whistle


"Let the caller and the called disappear; be lost in the call" -Rumi
Yesterday was a great series of events. I met with our new lead Pastor from St. John's here in Corpus. My wife is at a weekend retreat of sorts, honing her scrapbooking skills with her “crew” the Paper Dollz. This has become a spiritual practice for her, creativity is God's nature, and my wife excels in it! Then after a long day at work, I met with a great friend, Robert, and we shared what God is doing, has done, and will do in our lives. We laughed, teared up, shared wisdom, cussed, screamed, and watched a movie with guns and blood. An over-all great day. I wanted to share some things that came out of this day.

At lunch with Pastor Mel Hazlewood, a deaf man came by and layed what looked like regular crucifix key chains down in front of all the parishioners at the bar-b-q place we ate and asked through a printed tag on them for donations. Mel, with an interest in his eyes, laid down 5bucks on each of them and without saying words we prayed for him with our faces in thought. So many prayers are wasted when we use words.

As the day went on, I thought of this kind man who was deaf and at the will of generosity of others.

My wife's day was becoming more chaotic than bearable, our car broke again and we are riding our bikes around town and after taking her check up to deposit it there was a mistake, so she had to go (up wind) back to her job and ride another mile to bank. Spiritual discipline is a bitch, but we love her anyway! She needs this weekend, like I needed the Euc Retreat and I know she is laughing and having great expressions of fun! Thank God for you Paper Dollz.

When I got home, I had enough time to kiss Amanda goodbye for her trip into creative rest, which was a wish I had before I left for work. And I waited for Robert, to have “guy time”.

Robert and I ventured into Barnes & Noble and talked about his experience of sabbath and rest and intentional retreat, and it inspired me, to be honest. My friend needed it, and I know now what I must have looked like after Lebh Shomea or the Retreat in Athens, TX.

We talked, and he said something that stuck with me. “I have to be me, not someone I admire, and to be an open book and share my past, present, future with others, with community. Honestly, IF YOU DON'T SHARE, PEOPLE WILL MAKE THINGS UP”. The truth of this, is not in “snitches or bitches” that could come along and manipulate you, but of self giving into the trust of community and faith. Risk involved, and encouraged, because life is well lived with risk and value and friends.

As we were talking, I realized that the crucifix was a whistle. It amazed me, that I was given a noise making religious item from a deaf man. The gospel is like that, isn't it? Where the deaf play piano, and the blind paint with brushes better than any elite known painter. My goal, in life and in ministry is to be the person who loves and hands out grace so much, that I blow whistles that deaf men and women hear, because Love wins and transcends our simple ideas.

Thank you all who are part of my life, who allow me to speak to you, and for speaking back. Sometimes you think you are whispering, and it sounds like beautiful fury to my needing heart!

1 comment:

  1. Love the image of the kingdom. A cross that whistles from a deaf man. That will definitely preach!

    ReplyDelete